After graduation

Many chemical engineering graduates choose to enter employment immediately after completing their chemical engineering degree. However another option is to consider a higher degree.

For those graduates wishing to study for a higher degree there are 2 main choices: A taught program leading to a Masters degree or research leading to a Masters degree or a Doctorate.

The research option may appeal if you are strongly orientated towards a particular topic and want the opportunity to develop your own ideas. The research may be carried out in collaborarion with industry.

Research degree programmes lead to a Masters or a Doctorate degree:

  • A Masters by research will take 1 to 2 years of full-time work to complete
  • A Doctorate degree (or PhD) may take 3-4 years full-time research work to complete.

You will have to produce a dissertation describing your work and its finding and you will be examined by experts in the field who are usually from overseas.